jami

[Ring] Windows 10 Native And UWP And Other Bits

From: Nathan Royce
Subject: [Ring] Windows 10 Native And UWP And Other Bits
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 23:00:20 -0600

I did some testing with someone and they had issues with the native
desktop app crashing on close. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
After the crash, it would no longer open until their system was
rebooted. What would cause it to crash on open when it succeeded
before?
What log files do you need (seeing log files listed in event viewer output)?

Note, I installed win10 in a vm and did not have this issue.
One issue we both had was the ringid not showing up like it does in gnome.
It looks like there's a textbox for the ringid next to the qr code and
share buttons, but nothing was in there for either of us.

So after uninstalling the native desktop app, we focused on the UWP app.
I learned the UWP stuff is placed in
AppData/packages(/savoir-fairelinux.gnuring_*).
I can backup/delete the LocalState to start fresh I think.

Here's where things get sketchy. We could add each other's ids and
start chatting immediately without needing to do any contact request
stuff.
This is ripe for abuse if any bots want to start flooding messages.
Everything should start with contact requests. The worst a bot could
do is flood CR with requests.
On the other hand, I can see value of someone sending a CR but it
being helpful if a message could go along with it saying who they are
or whatever. Though not needed if you're already communicating the id
to each other in some way.

There was one instance where we started fresh, I added them, waited a
bit, then suddenly a CR came up on their side. But I could still send
a message before they accepted me.

They also had a problem where they couldn't remove a contact. It just
did nothing (I think it caused a crash once). It worked for me though.

But this is a big thing. I STILL think it's very important for us to
be able to set a nickname for contacts. When we chatted, we only had
the ring id displayed.
I see Olivier replied to me about this back in August.
OH! One thing to note, when talking with my contact, I was mentioning
this, and they said they DID show the name I set hyphenated with my
ringid. But on my side, it only showed their ringid. They did say they
set their username.

Another big deal relates to blocking. You could only block a CR. Once
the person was accepted, there is no option to block. You can remove
contact, but they contact could always send another message.

I've looked at the git log for native/uwp... is anyone still working
on it? It just looks like bump changes, nothing functional.