jami

Re: [Ring] ffmpeg and gstreamer (was: Ring packages for Fedora)

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: [Ring] ffmpeg and gstreamer (was: Ring packages for Fedora)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 22:50:05 -0500 (EST)

The APIs being very different would suggest lots of refactoring.

Efforts are being made to keep the video/audio portion of the code base clean
and more modular, so in the future maybe it wouldn't entail as much an effort.

>> It'd be useful to make a detailed analysis of GStreamer to see how it fares
>> against FFmpeg.
>
> This would be cool! When will you guys do this? Btw. thanks for working on
> Ring!

It's not high on our priority list at the moment; maybe you could lend a hand
if it is a topic of interest to you? :)

Thank you,

Maxim