jami

[Ring] Meeting about"Idea/Question: Refactoring your development"

From: Sebastien Bin
Subject: [Ring] Meeting about"Idea/Question: Refactoring your development"
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 09:55:51 -0500

Hi,

Yesterday, we discussed our different tools and how it can be complicated to start contributing. This was just to open the discussion.

Currently, we mainly use these tools:
1. Tuleap as a wiki and a bug tracker.
2. Transifex for translation
3. Jenkins for the CI
4. Gerrit for code review and patch management. We also have a gitlab mirror and a github mirror.
When someone wants to contribute, they have to submit a patch to gerrit and wait for a reviewer. When the patch is accepted, it's merged into the master branch, and when a new feature is here, we merge the master branch into the production branch.

This process has been working for a long time and is not a hindrance yet, but it's not the best for any volunteer. Indeed, they face some difficulties:
+ Tuleap is difficult to use for anyone not in the Ring team. When you are connected, the bug tracker is really hard to find (search 'Ring' in the search bar, choose the project, go to trackers, then choose between all options). Moreover, we actually don't really uses the roadmap or the milestone system in Tuleap.
+ We also need to use an alternative to Transifex (such as Pootle or Weblate) since a long time and it is in the roadmap.
+ Gerrit is not user friendly at first. And you need a proprietary solution for authentification.

The discussion results in some points:
1. We definitely need a beta and a production branch, not just the production one on all clients.
2. We will not migrate to a closed solution like Github. But, we can switch to Gitlab for the wiki and the bug tracking part. If we do that we will need to host a new Gitlab instance or use another one. We also need a script to migrate issues from Tuleap to Gitlab.
3. We will continue to use Gerrit for the code review (at least for now). The future version will improve a lot of things. And the OAuth provider seems to support Gitlab for authentification (see https://github.com/davido/gerrit-oauth-provider )

Have a nice day,
Sebastien.