rottlog-develop

[Rottlog-develop] Just an idea I had

From: Frederic Connes
Subject: [Rottlog-develop] Just an idea I had
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 18:47:47 +0200

Hi Stefano,

I thought about something for rottlog yesterday. Please tell me if that's not the way you want rottlog to be used.

Now, there are 4 configuration files, including 3 for the rotate operations.
What I thought is that:
- it's not easy to tell: rotate every 3 days, or each sunday, or each 15th of the month (ok, it's possible but not very intuitive) - usually one won't really use the 3 files: people will mainly use the one that fits their needs, depending of the amount of logs they have. There may be exceptions if for instance you're running a web server, but usually one file is more filled than the others.

So here's my suggestion:
- use only 2 files: rc and rotate (or any other name)
- rotate has the same syntax that daily/weekly/monthly, but it's possible (not mandatory) to include a rotate_on= parameter in each logfile entry
- the format of the rotate_on parameter would be (for example):
  - *: each time rottlog is run
  - 1d: every day
  - 3d: every 3 days
  - sun: every sunday
  - wed,tue: every monday and tuesday
  - 15: every 15th of the month
  - 1m: every month
  - sep: each september
  so, cut the input with "," and check the first character:
      - * -> rotate
      - number -> find last char, get number, check date
- char -> get first 3 chars (so it could be possible to write the complete day/month name), find if it's a day or month, check date - rc can contain a rotate= parameter, which is used when no rotate parameter is present for a logfile - if no rotate parameter is given in rc, asume it is * (so that it could be possible to configure the cron if something can't be handled by rottlog)

I think this would make rottlog the very tool to rotate logs.

See you,

Fred