rule-list

[Rule-list] About font management

From: Marco Fioretti
Subject: [Rule-list] About font management
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 09:34:56 +0100

Hello,

I just saw this on the Open Office list. It is a summary of a Slashdot
thread about antialiasing, which we may or may not need in RULE.

        Ciao,
                Marco Fioretti
                RULE project leader

----- Forwarded message from Martijn Dekkers <address@hidden> -----

Subject: Re: [discuss] [Fwd: Xft Hack Improves Antialiased Font Rendering]
From: Martijn Dekkers <address@hidden>
Date: Wed,  6 Mar 2002 21:26:25 +0100
To: address@hidden

Thanks, this is good stuff.

For those who don't feel like sifting through the stuff at /., here is the
recap.
In essence, what this guy does is to disable the "hinting" in the
font-rendering
system. This gives a much better level of AA quality. This is partly because
the
freetype library, that handles this stuff has been forced to disable certaing
routines related to this "hinting" due to a patent issue.

However, either if you have a license, or if you live outside the US, you can
re-enable the better hinting features of freetype. For example, I run SuSE, and
do not live in the US. So I can follow the instructions on the SuSE support
site that explain how to re-enable this.

On another note, I noticed that SO6 has some pretty good AA - similar to the
level of quality that is shown in the screenshots this guy has on his site and
better at least then OOo. I suspect (but am probably wrong) that Sun has some
form of license to use these freetype routines, and OOo doesn't. OOo/SO uses
seperate freetype libs as opposed to the ones that come with OS, right? (this
is a question - I am not sure) so could this be a way to improve the AA out of
the box for most end users? query the licensing status at setup time, and if
the freetype stuff is not an issue, just copy the routines in question?

Cheers,

Martijn

Quoting Danese Cooper <address@hidden>:

* Article on /. about hack to improve anti-aliased fonts on Unix (running
* xFree86).
*
* Might be helpful.
*