rule-list

[Rule-list] install from slinky with no cd

From: hairylarry
Subject: [Rule-list] install from slinky with no cd
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:51:06 -0600

Hi,

I just installed slinky v0.1.2 without using a cd. Instead I used
disk1.iso on a hard drive.

On a system with a CD I attached an ide drive at hdb. I formatted it
and mounted it to /mnt/hdb then i did this.

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/mnt/hdb/disk1.iso

This put the disk 1 iso on the hard drive.

Then on the system where I wanted to install to hda I put this same
drive on at hdb. I booted slinky and followed all instructions until I
came to the mount CD prompt. Then I hit Ctrl-C and did this stuff.

I added this line to fstab

/dev/hdb1     /mnt/hdb     ext2    defaults    2 1

Then I issued these commands.

mkdir /mnt/hdb
mkdir /mnt/disk1
mount /mnt/hdb
mknod /dev/loop0 b 7 0
mount -o loop /mnt/hdb/disk1.iso /mnt/disk1

this gave me on /mnt/hdb - disk1.iso
and on /mnt/disk1 - the redhat disk1 CD files

I edited base_install.sh taking out everything from the second line to
the rpm path. This was a mistake. Of course I lost my shell variables
when I broke out.

But the install went fine and all the rpms got installed down to
anacron. Then I got thrown out to a prompt. I said what the hey and I
tried it.

The boot was not clean. I had to hit Ctrl-C once right before it
detected new hardware. But it did boot to a login and I was able to
log on as root and run nano, grep, etc.

I'm going to do it again without such radical surgery to
base_install.sh. Maybe I can get a cleaner install that way.

The good news is that it worked. I did not need to use losetup. The
mount -o loop syntax is another way to use loop devices. I have not,
however,  tested this syntax with a dos formatted hard drive.

If losetup can be included in the install /sbin it would be good
anyway. It allows you to mount floppy images as well as cd images
which could be handy in a rescue situation.

I ran vi no problem during the install. The termcap is set fine. After
the install is completed no termcap is set and vi reverts to ascii.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry