rule-list

[Rule-list] Another window manager suggestion

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: [Rule-list] Another window manager suggestion
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:45:06 -0800

Hi all.

I just checked out the web site again. I read what you said about general criteria.

Perhaps you may also be interested in heliwm. The web site is http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~hok/heliwm/

"Heliwm" stands for highly essential light itsy-bitsy window manager. I looked at the code a while back, and found it difficult to hack. However, I've found that the owner/maintainer is more than willing to take suggestions. One of the most interesting things about this is the ability to use the function keys to raise, lower, maximize, change focus, etc.

I found that using <Tab> key combinations can take care of most of the work. For instance, <Alt><Tab> can change focus; <Alt><Shift><Tab> can change in the opposite direction; <Ctrl><Tab> can raise; <Ctrl><Shift><Tab> can lower.

The keys that you want are entirely up to you. He has chosen a different set of keys to do the above functions. You can even hard code them at compile time so that you don't have to refer to an rc file, thus bringing the binary down to 14 kB.

This is only a suggestion.