rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] Suggestion for modifying XFree86 and Tiny X

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] Suggestion for modifying XFree86 and Tiny X
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:11:52 -0800

From: Bill Crawford <address@hidden>

<snip>
 That's a very tiny part of the code; and since the X server has to
talk directly to the graphics hardware anyway, it has to take control
of it at some point.
<snip>
We used to start two X servers, one from each
of two console logins, and switch between them ... that took ten or
twenty seconds to swap the background image back in after a bit of
work on the previous desktop.  Still quicker than starting straight
from the console every time ...
<snip>
<snip>
you probably won't be able to do much on the console until the server
and window manager are finished starting up anyway :o)
<snip>
 That background takes very little code to create, and is not stored
as a graphic as such; it takes very little by way of resources;
<snip>
If it doesn't set *something* as background then
you either get random garbage or whatever was left from the previous
X session garbled by use of the display memory by the console.
<snip>
<snip>
 That's not such a bad idea, but the truth is that once you minimise
a window, most applications will do absolutely nothing until you open
the window again.

..."killall -QUIT netscape"..."kill -STOP"
<snip>

Thanks for replying and explaining the above information. Everything that is above, perfectly deals with my concerns. It all says to me, that yes, XFree86 is still efficient. I really appreciate it. Also, thank you for the "killall" and "kill" info. I never knew that before.

As disappointed as I am to see that my ideas won't come into fruition, I am glad to realize that you saved everybody a lot of time! :-)