rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] network install for slinky

From: Martin Stricker
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] network install for slinky
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 01:56:51 +0100

"Rodolfo J. Paiz" wrote:

> I don't know how to get the card recognized. Once the card is in, if I
> assume that there is only one card and that card is Ethernet (hence
> eth0), then:

You need to load the driver kernel module first!

> 1. Ask for the network parameters (IP, netmask, gateway, DNS).
> 2. ifconfig
> 3. resolv.conf for the DNS addresses
> 4. Either nfs-mount the image file, or ftp/http the RPM's
>
> Guesses here, but start somewhere then make mistakes I say.

> >I am convinced we will be able to find a graphical
> >browser/window manage/X server with a small enough footprint
> >to give us graphical browsing on a machine like this.
>
> Hope so. The 486/8MB I swiped for testing was successfully walking
> (not running) Win95 w/Word95 and Excel95. I'd like to beat that.

Me, too... I had the same effect with Win2k/Office2k on this very
computer (166 MHz Pentium MMX) when it had only 32 MB RAM. With 160 MB
RAM it's now running - even with address@hidden in the background.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/