rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] slinky, miniconda, and the minimum install

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] slinky, miniconda, and the minimum install
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 21:37:00 -0800

From: address@hidden
<snip>
This however only saved about 7 meg. I noticed that files are
installed for every locale and every keyboard. Is it possible to
unpack only the needed files for one locale and one keyboard? This
could actually result in a large disk saving with no loss of
functionality for users needing only one locale and keyboard
supported. (most of us)

I think Mozilla does something like this, where it only loads up certain font sets that are most common. The rest can be loaded up as needed, and preferences could be set. This method ended up speeding up the loading of the browser, if I recall correctly.

It would be kind of neat if RH and other distros had some way of configuring the system so that only one locale and keyboard layout is on the hard drive at one time. With this method, any locale and keyboard layout could be changed automatically. Maybe there is a way already? Is there software that does it?

If there is, then it would be kind of neat if RH just kept that software on CD or their web site so that it wouldn't use up precious disk space. Files for different locales and keyboard layouts could be kept on a standardized place on the Internet or on the CD.

Once again, I'm just suggesting. Hopefully it comes in handy this time! :^)

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong