rule-list

[Rule-list] Two minor "bugs" in Slinky 0.2.3, and a kernel issue

From: Martin Stricker
Subject: [Rule-list] Two minor "bugs" in Slinky 0.2.3, and a kernel issue
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 02:56:56 +0200

I'm still trying to catch up on the mail (I reached last monday), but I
finally managed to do a Slinky install with version 0.2.3. I found two
minor issues with the installer's messages:
When I have to select the harddrive to partition, the message that
/dev/hda is selected is printed twice: once without and once with
/dev/hda mentioned.
When I try to mount /dev/hda1 on /boot the output is
Mounting /dev/hda1 on '/newroot//boot'.
I didn't check if the mount succeded

Now for the kernel issue I promised:
A fried gave me a server (the one I eventually will be able to host a
RULE mirror on) to install enigma on it. Hardware: PIII 700 Celeron,
Intel board, for more info I'll have to open the rack. The original
anaconda segfaulted while trying to mount the CD-ROM. So I checked
cables etc., nozhing. Windows 98 and S.u.S.E. Linux 7.1 (the only other
OSes I could get a grip on short time) both installed nicely. Miniconda
segfaulted as expected. Slinky, too, segfaulted when it came to mount
the CD. So I investigated further: Any attempt to access the CD-ROM
drive (regardless of what CD is in there) will segfault the first time
(tested with both fdisk and mount), any further tries will just hang
unkillable. I think it's an issue with the Enigma kernel since S.u.S.E
Linux 7.1 has no problems whatsoever. Now I'm waiting desperately for
the first Slinky version based on the valhalls boot kernel to verify
this issue on the new version before bugzilla'ing. And it would be even
more instesting trying a Slinky with a vanilla kernel... Michael, is
there any chance you can make such a boot image until Tuesday? Or, even
better, tell me how to do it myself (would be a *great* addition to the
RULE documentation!)?

Sorry if I was dull, unprecise or not gentle, it's 03:00 AM and time to
take a nap (have to rise at 6 for work, ugh). I hope I'll catch on with
email in the weekend, so please bear with me if I don't respond to
questions. I will be away from the server from Saturday to Monday. Yawn.
Time to nap, sorry.

Best regards,
Martin
Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi