rule-list

[Rule-list] The init sequence

From: Marco Fioretti
Subject: [Rule-list] The init sequence
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 05:24:29 +0200

----- Forwarded message from chris clark <address@hidden> -----

>The biggest slowdowns in boot times seem to be XFS (font server), kudzu, and
>the depmod -a .

I agree. Kudzu and depmod -a should be removed altogether from init
sequence: how often does one adds hardware? Have you read the init
sequence page on the web site?

>One could even have options for specific tasks like "boot in console
>mode,start a ppp session,
>run fetchmail to grab my new mail, and then halt."

Yes, but why grab mail and not read it immediately? Could you
elaborate a bit on this?

        Ciao,
                Marco Fioretti
--
People often find it easier to be a result of the past than a cause of
the future.