rule-list

[Rule-list] Re: rpm_analyzer and multi-provided resources

From: Marco Fioretti
Subject: [Rule-list] Re: rpm_analyzer and multi-provided resources
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 16:13:57 +0200

Michael wrote:

> I thought about it some more and came up with this idea:  when
> analyzing the databases, note which resources are provided by
> multiple rpms. The  user can edit _this_ file to prefer
> different packages on a per run basis.
>
> Then I can run once with postfix providing smtdaemon and once with
> sendmail providing it.

We seem to be converging here: I was thinking about launching the
program with a "favourite" file as argument, containing similar info.
For example, I personally prefer postfix over sendmail no matter what,
and mutt as MUA, regardless of others. I could write in an external
file something like:

smtpdaemon preferred postfix
mua        preferred mutt

and it would ignore all the others providing the same resources,
without touching the original database. Does it make sense?

> >Any suggestion about this?
>
> BTW, I found it useful to tweak the code to step thru @ARGV for multiple
> packages, and to treat arguments starting with @ as a file containing a
> list of rpms

Could you post the patch here, or the whole thing to me privately?

 TIA,
            Marco Fioretti