rule-list

[RULE] pcmcia nic & RULE

From: Tim Sutinen
Subject: [RULE] pcmcia nic & RULE
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:33:24 -0800

Hi

I am in the process of trying to get RH 7.3 with the RULE installed on a P75/16MB laptop. It has a floppy, but no CD-ROM, so I am using a 3com 589 PCMCIA nic to install via http. I am running to a roadblock, though - Can't get the RULE installer (slinky, I guess) to see the NIC.

I made sure it is possible by installing RH6.1 the same way first in this same machine. Works almost automatically. No problem. I just created a boot floppy from the pcmcia.img file on the RH 6.1 disk, booted and told it where my http server is.

I found a pcmcia.img image for RULE (slinky 0.3.6) and created the floppy, it wasn't bootable, though. I booted with the slinky.img created disk and machine started and gave me a command line. That's the point where I get lost. What to do next?

As far as I can tell, this is what RH 6.1 does:
-loads pcmcia_core, i82356 & ds modules
-then loads cardmgr
-then loads 3c589_cs
-then configures the network parameters

I have tried doing the same with RULE, but haven't succeeded, so I need some help.

Does anyone have a step-by-step installation howto for a situation like this?, or some other creative ideas as to what to do next?

Thanks

Tim