rule-list

Re: [RULE] Windowslike Desktop

From: Richard
Subject: Re: [RULE] Windowslike Desktop
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 14:11:54 -0400

Ingo Lantschner wrote:

 Hi I just posted the following on the shrikelist. Some context for
 here: I am testing now rox, its nice but as far as I understood it,
 even difficult if we consider the situation of our trainees in
 Zambia. Main points of critisism (TinyX, fluxbox, rox): * Single
 click starts apps * No Startmenue in the left bottom (like
 Windows-GUI or Bluecurf)

 Do you have a suggestion?

 --- Does anyone know a light, Windows-like Desktop which runs on
 TinyX and fluxbox (light alternative to XFRee86 and KDE/Gnome)

I find IceWM with KDE installed gives me the KDE apps and a much
more responsive system.  IceWM is patterned after the Win9x menu
with a few improvements to keyboard shortcuts.

I prefer it to any other window manager I´v tried.

Richard.

 We have some P166/64MB-PCs for a project in Zambia, thanks to the
 rule-project we have now a running RH9 - but we have to go away from
 the unusual interface of fluxbox, since many of the people who learn
 on the Linux-PCs will later got into Offices with Windows-GUI - and
 it will not help them if they will be lost there.

 Hope you have got the point, thanks for any help, Ingo.
 Ingo Lantschner