rule-list

Re: [RULE] New install report available: futura

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: Re: [RULE] New install report available: futura
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 19:18:08 -0700

From: "M. Fioretti" <address@hidden>

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 11:55:46 at 11:55:46AM -0700, Eugene Wong (address@hidden) wrote:
> >From: "M. Fioretti" <address@hidden>
> >
> <snip>
> >Personally, when it comes to
> >kernel compilation support, I'm sceptic: as useful as it would be,
> >most of the machines looking for RULE would take days to do it...
> <snip>
>
> If they want to compile, they can always use nice level 19. If it still
> doesn't speed things up, then they can always suspend when they are using
> the computer. Basically, I'm saying that they should just use the spare
> cycles for something instead of just letting the computer sit there.
>
> It's up to all of you, though.
Eugene,
did you send this to the list too? If not, why not?

I don't know. I thought that I did send it to the list. I probably made a mistake.

Anyway, I was thinking to the fact that:

         1) this can't happen at install time

That's a good point.

         2) if it's the only PC around, keeping it stopped for days
            may not be an option.

It shouldn't keep the PC stopped. In other words, when the PC isn't being used, the compiler will continue to compile the kernel. Also, a user could suspend the kernel compile with <Ctrl><Z> and then continue again with "fg".

         3) disk wise, installing, even temporarily, all the stuff
            needed to compile may not be an option either

That's a good point too.

I'm certainly not religious about this, of course. If somebody can
make it work, that's great.

If I get a chance, then I'll try to explore the issue myself, & report back to you guys.

Sincerely, & with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong