rule-list

[RULE] additional feedback on Slinky 0.3.95

From: Ingo Lantschner
Subject: [RULE] additional feedback on Slinky 0.3.95
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:17:35 +0200

Here is some more observations. Since for my impression Slinky is
technically already at a very high level, this time it is only some
usability-stuff, which may make it easier, for someone new to find his
way trough the strange world of Linux.

* Installing from the ISO and having therefore the stage2 files on a CD
  already in the CD-Drive (always in this situation): Slinky still
  prompts for inserting the disk containing the stage 2 files in the
  cdrom drive and to press 'enter' when ready.
  -> This should be ommited if possible
* SKIP_FORMAT_ROOT=0 in slinky.config gives strange results - I thínk
  because it does the same as SKIP_FORMAT_ROOT=1.
  -> SKIP_FORMAT_ROOT=0 should format the hd w/o prompting (may be an
  extra warning should be placed in slinky.config.sample like "WARNING:
  setting SKIP_FORMAT_ROOT to 1 formats the partition without any
  further prompting!! Do NOT use this option on systems with data you
  may need later.
* After stage2 scripts installation, the Rule-ISO CDROM is not ejected.
  --> The change of CDROMS should be consistent - I would prefer, that
  the disks are always ejected and the user is prompted to hit enter,
  when he has inserted the new disk (like alredy implemented between
  RH disk 1 and disk 2).

Bye, Ingo.

Ingo Lantschner

        Verein zur Unterstuetzung von Menschen