rule-list

[RULE] Install Report (slinky 3.95 with Red Hat variant)

From: Raymundo Q. Baquirin
Subject: [RULE] Install Report (slinky 3.95 with Red Hat variant)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:28:50 +0800

Hi, all,

I tried to use slinky to install a local distribution (Lorma Linux
http://linux.lorma.edu/
, based on Red Hat 9).  Here's what happened:

1.  I tried to install using the Lorma LInux installer (Anaconda, don't know
if it's stock Red Hat or modified).  The installer crashed after the Disk
Druid stage where I had defined a mount point for / and for /boot.

2.  Downloaded slinky 3.95 and the corresponding disk2.img.  Copied the
disk2.img to my windows partition. Extracted the vmlinuz and rootfs.gz files
from the slinky img and copied these to my windows partition.

3.  Rebooted into windows 98 and then did a restart to MS-DOS

4. Booted slinky using loadlin:
       loadlin vmlinuz initrd=rootfs.gz ramdisk_size=2048 root=/dev/ram rw

5. Copied slinky.config.example to slinky.config.  Edited slinky.config,
choosing an image install with disk2 files coming from floppy.

6. Switched to a second terminal, where I created a directory /mnt/win and
mounted /dev/hda1 on it:
    mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win

7. Loop-mounted the Lorma Linux iso:
     mount -t iso9660 /mnt/win/lorma/lorma_v.3.iso /mnt/cdrom -o loop

8. Loop-mounted disk2.img:
    mount -t ext2 /mnt/win/rule/slinky/3.95/disk2.img /mnt/floppy -o loop

9.  Switched back to terminal 1 and run install.sh.

10.  Got error messages:
    Trying to mount /dev//dev/hda1
    mount: Mounting /dev//dev/hda1 failed: No such file or directory
    Failed to mount /dev//dev/hda1
    mount: ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Bad file descriptor
    mount: could not setup loop device
    Failed to mount /dev//dev/hda1//lorma/lorma_v.3.iso
    umount: /mnt/loop: Invalid argument
    Located the RedHat/RPMS/ directory! success.
    unmounting /dev//dev/hda1//lorma/lorma_v.3.iso

11. The installation proceeds, but then stops and says the image can't be
found and to switch to another terminal and manually mount it (sorry, I
failed to write the exact message).  I switch to terminal 2. mount shows that
the hda1 partition is no longer mounted, and in fact the directory I created,
/mnt/win is no longer there.  Again I create /mnt/win, mount hda1 on that and
loop-mount the lorma iso on /mnt/cdrom

12.  I switch back to terminal 1 and hit return.  The install proceeds...but
then I ge another bunch of error messages:
    /root/base-install.sh:  cat: No such file or directory
repeated with grep, etc. in place of cat

13.  The install appears to hang at this point.  I reboot with my regular
linux kernel but pointing to a root file system on hda7.  I get a panic with
init not found.

14.  I reboot, then mount hda7 and have a look.  A bunch of directories with
some files has been created (but obviously not a complete install).

15.  I found a couple of  install.log's  which I've attached.

Thanks for putting up with this long post.

Ray