rule-list

Re: [RULE] mounting and unmounting-script

From: Ingo Lantschner
Subject: Re: [RULE] mounting and unmounting-script
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 19:32:47 +0200

Hi Jason,
thakns for your very valuable advices!!

Jason Bechtel wrote:
For the CDROM, you want supermount (or one of its
equivalents).  It abstracts out the
mounting/unmounting and it's very easy.  Put in
the CD and when you try to use it (via a program
or command-line or whatever) supermount tries to
mount it.
I made some search in the Net and my impression was, that to use Supermount requires me to patch the kernel. Did you ever work with Supermount? How stable is this kernel then? Do you have some help/documentation *at hand*? (Dont make too much effort on this, my main concern was the floppy.)

For the floppy, however, (un)mounting is
especially problematic for newbies.  (...)
In my experience it's much easier to just tell
people that to use a floppy, they have to use a
particular program.  That program would be
MToolsFM.
Great idea! I checked this package out and after some testing it have to say, it is exactly what we searching for. Due to its graphical interface, which is a simple Firlemanager with zip-functionality we can now omit mc (and perl) which saves 50 MB of diskspace.

Thanks again, Ingo.