rule-list

[RULE] Slinky 0.3.97-vumbox on the Net

From: Ingo Lantschner
Subject: [RULE] Slinky 0.3.97-vumbox on the Net
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 20:03:04 +0200

Hi,
just made my first visit with a networked RULE-System on the Net.
These packages were installed:
   * Dialup
   * webtools
   * Openssh
   * TinyX
   * Sendmail
   * Abiword
   * Printing

Some observations and questions:

1. redhat-config-network is not installed. Is this by intention?

2. For dial-out I use pppd and its files in /etc/ppp - is this the
prefered method?

3. in /var/log/messages I find "Cant locate module ppp-compress-21"
Any problem with this? (Slower line, ....)

4. The nameresolution does not work out of the box. I solved it as follows:
        1. option "usepeerdns" in /etc/ppp/options
            this creates a resolv.conf in ppp/
        2. create ip-up.local with content
            "cp resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf"
        3. chmod a+r /etc/resolv.conf
I guess there is an other way ... thanks for any comments

5. pppd needs root-permissions and disconnection needs "killall pppd"
Is there an better solution (may be suid-bit on pppd?!?)

6. The combination of fetchmail+mailserver+pine works fine - more or
less out of the box (well fetchmail needs some configuration, but thats
just one line in .fetchmailrc).

Have a nice day, Ingo.

p.s. I will dokument all the steps, so in the next release of the
handbook they will be open to all. I'll post the link.