rule-www

Re: [Rule-www] RULE call for:db, downloads, translations

From: Marco Fioretti
Subject: Re: [Rule-www] RULE call for:db, downloads, translations
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 05:36:48 +0200

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 21:04:07 at 09:04:07PM +0200, Martin Stricker wrote:
> Marco Fioretti wrote:
>
> > In the meantime, however, I could really use some assistance, first
> > of all in translations, then, about point 2:
>
> I'll do the German translation as soon as I can get to it.
>
> Suggested database design: Two tables, "test_pc" and "test_report". The
> first gets it's primary key out of a sequence (AUTO_INCREMENT), all the

If you can email (even offlist) pseudo, rough Perl code doing this,
I'll study how to rewrite it

> To list a directory's content in Perl:
> print join('<BR>',`ls $directory`);

OK, found the way to do the same in PHP

> Please make a template of the translation file as php.txt (so it will be
> displayed instead of being processed) available, best linked on the "how
> to translate for RULE" page which I ask you to create. Thanks!
>
> Spoke too soon... ;-)) But they should still get a request to help with
> the translation!
>
> >                 en/index.php sets all its internal links to the /sp
> >                 directory, and the game repeats...

OK again: I will write, later this week, *one* page explaining both "how
to write" and "how to translate" for the RULE web site, since to
maintain all the php generation/cross language linking it is essential
that all text source files, regardless of the language, follow the
same formatting rules. About the request for translation to put in
what I called the "empty page": isn't it better to create a Perl-like
site-wide hash with one entry per language:

        'it', 'Questa pagina non esiste ancora, vorresti tradurla?'
        'de', 'German translation of: the page you requested doesn't
exist, if you can translate it, please contact XYZ' (**)

so that if en/index.php is called like "en/index.php?L=de"
it inserts the 'de' entry in nice bold red font right at the top of
the page?

(**) Of course, it should be something a bit more detailed, nice and
formal...

Last but not least: don't worry if I fall offline for some days: I'll
get the RH 8.0 disks this afternoon, so tonight is install night, with
the usual risks and reconfiguration hassles to be expected...

        Ciao,
                Marco Fioretti

--
Non si vive se non il tempo che si ama.                 C. A. Helvetius