savannah-dev

[Savannah-dev] Re: phpgw 0.9.13

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: phpgw 0.9.13
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:55:37 +0200

Luca De_Vitis writes:
 > So, since we didn't meet on irc, we can start via email (I prefer email or
 > icq
 > more than irc, but i'll start beeng on irc more frequently).
 > I've seen your package, but I'm not sure about the need of the configuration
 > via xmlrpc. It includes dependencies on unneded packages such as rsync (why
 > rsync?), libfrontier-rpc-perl, curl,

        rsync could be removed (I used it instead of cp ;-)

 > I think that these dependencies are unneded since we can handle insertion of
 > defaults with a sql file and wwwconfig-common scripts.

        Using xmlrpc is more abstracted and therefore less sensitive to
changes.

 > Finally, I'm not sure about the need of insertion of defaults via
 > package configuration. I think that phpgw developers/people should
 > spend more time on web configuration than package configuration.

        The idea is to completly avoid the need of web
interaction. One can play with phpgroupware immediately after the
apt-get install. There is no need to go to setup + interact manually.

 > What do you think about this?

        curl + xmlrpc will be really usefull to configure applications
that are apt-get installed on top of phpgw. There could also be packages
that only do configuration for specific purposes. In general I think it's
mandatory to have a clean and standardized way to *script* phpgroupware
at install stage.

        Does this make sense ?

        Cheers,