savannah-dev

Re: [Savannah-dev] Savannah/CodeX documentation - Next steps?

From: mathieu
Subject: Re: [Savannah-dev] Savannah/CodeX documentation - Next steps?
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 23:20:38 +0200

The way our CodeX User Guide is organized is that it describes the CodeX services so that you can have an idea of all the features offered by a given service. A contextual on-line help doesn't give this broad overview.

In addition the guide is also packed with tips and best practices on how to well managed an 'open' project inside Xerox. I think we (you, loc, me and all others on this DL) shouldn't not assume that all the people coming to the Free Software world or to Savannah knows what to do and how to do things the right way. The documentation is more on how to properly set up your environment, how to properly behave and communicate with your project community,etc. It makes the User Guide much more pleasant to read and in my opinion much more useful.

And last but not least you'd be amaze to see how much people are still addicted to a good old printed manual...

My goal here is really to try and see if we can unify the two: the online help and the one-piece-HTML, PS or PDF user manual.

ok, you make your point and I must admit that it's convincing.

Now it is also possible that the Savannah team this isn't a top priority thing and I can put this in a lower position on my priority list.

I dont see it personnally as the top priority thing but I have no top priority thing list. It's better with than without in any case.

--
mathieu
* http://humeur.coleumes.org Pourquoi il est vain de combattre le Front National en récitant des faits des années 1930... *