savannah-dev

[Savannah-dev] Re: homepage change lost after submit

From: mathieu
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: homepage change lost after submit
Date: 11 Feb 2003 18:52:52 +0100

Derek FEICHTINGER <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> Salut, Mathieu
>
> Jaime will send us some forms to sign, in which we declare our intent of
> donating all our Savannah developments to the FSF. He wanted to give us
> access after that, so it's just a matter of time.
>
> In respect to the bug #2513 I did not want to make the fix immediately. It
> would be easy to make a quick bugfix, but I think this issue tackles a more
> general problem:
>
> The current model of populating the project object's member variables at the
> beginning of a page (through the require pre.php, I think) is in general
> unsafe, as it only reflects the object's status at that point in time. Every
> change of a member variable will result in the object holding outdated
> information.
>
> There are two principal possibilities I can see for resolving this:
>
> 1. If you want to keep the abstraction, the object method should read the
> actual data base value every time it is called (a little more overhead
> because of the DB access).
> 2. Don't use an abstract function, but directly access the data base
> in the code (not so nice) as is done in some other cases.
>
> What do you think?

2 is not only not nice but unmaintainable in the long run, hard to
modify and enhance, hard to port. But we should absolutely avoid this,
as the main work we did on the sourceforge base was to remove
portability issues.

> I did not want to post all the info in this email on the bug tracker
> or the mailing list, that's why I sent it to you personally. I also
> saw that you are currently encapsulating Savannah's functionality in
> a Perl library. Are you planning to rewrite major parts of Savannah?

For now, the backend scripts (update host real system <-> savannah
database) is the target. In the future, we may create another frontend
(not necessarily www frontend). The main interest of perl over php is
to be not especially focused on http frontend. The main interest of
php is that is currently trendy so many people can help.

--
mathieu

  [ http://humeur.coleumes.org    : Mieux vaut ĂȘtre une vache en Europe qu'un
citoyen du Sud ? ]