savannah-dev

[Savannah-dev] [Bug #2640] CVS page should recomment '-P'

From: nobody
Subject: [Savannah-dev] [Bug #2640] CVS page should recomment '-P'
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 09:35:06 -0500

=================== BUG #2640: LATEST MODIFICATIONS ==================
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=2640&group_id=11

Changes by: Mathieu Roy <address@hidden>
Date: 2003-Feb-23 15:35 (Europe/Paris)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
            Severity | 5 - Average               | 1 - Enhancement
          Resolution | None                      | Works for me
         Assigned to | None                      | yeupou
              Status | Open                      | Closed

Interesting point.

But actually, add more command line options could confuse much more end-user
than getting some empty dirs.

Also, I'm against the idea to add a new section until it really brings
important information. In the CVS page should appears every informations
specific to CVS on savannah.gnu.org, not all informations that may be usefull
about CVS.

People that already know CVS will be confused to find irrelevant newbie
informations alongs with essential information, while someone who never used
CVS before is entitled to read the FAQ that explain that (or should explain it).

And finally, I think that shortname for options should be avoided in examples.

So for me, it's ok.

=================== BUG #2640: FULL BUG SNAPSHOT ===================

Submitted by: benja                   Project: Savannah
Submitted on: 2003-Feb-23 12:35
Category:  None                       Severity:  1 - Enhancement

Original Submission:  The commands listed on Savannah projects' CVS page do not
include the -P option for pruning empty directories. Projects which have
changed the layout of their source tree at any point in their lifetime will
therefore be checked out with superfluous, empty directories sure to confuse
the person who's just downloaded them.

I suggest that the -P option is added after all 'co' commands on the CVS page.
Further, to make things easier for CVS newbies, I suggest that the text "When
you update from within the module's directory (with cvs update) you do not need
the -d option anymore." is replaced by a new section entitled "Updating a
checked out directory":

"A directory containing a checkout of a CVS repository can be updated to the
newest version with the following command, executed in the directory (this
applies to both anonymous and developer CVS access):

cvs up -dP"

Follow-up Comments
*******************

Date: 2003-Feb-23 15:35             By: yeupou
Interesting point.

But actually, add more command line options could confuse much more end-user
than getting some empty dirs.

Also, I'm against the idea to add a new section until it really brings
important information. In the CVS page should appears every informations
specific to CVS on savannah.gnu.org, not all informations that may be usefull
about CVS.

People that already know CVS will be confused to find irrelevant newbie
informations alongs with essential information, while someone who never used
CVS before is entitled to read the FAQ that explain that (or should explain it).

And finally, I think that shortname for options should be avoided in examples.

So for me, it's ok.

CC list is empty

No files currently attached

For detailed info, follow this link: