savannah-dev

[Savannah-dev] deleting users

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-dev] deleting users
Date: 22 May 2003 19:21:45 +0200

I found more easy in the future to know which users must be removed by
marking their account as D in the database.

So once sv_user will be running on Savannah (not for today), to remove
a user you'll just have to mark is account as D. If you remove it by
yourself directly the database for instance with

  mysql -e "DELETE FROM user WHERE user_name='popol'" sourceforge

the account will be left, considered as a local (not managed by
savannah) account. So if a user need to be removed, it's BAD.

Instead, I'll provide a script like sv_user_delete if you need to
delete a user in a hurry, that cannot wait a cronjob. But that will do
everything needed.

Any objection?

Why this choice? Because I found on my test machine (which his my
main computer) that I'm not happy at all with the idea that savannah
may remove a user account just because a script failed to detect it's
not part of savannah. Removing an account only with a D mark in the
database is completely safe. Account removal is anyway extremely rare,
so I prefer simplifying the code, to avoid any errors, to get
something doing what we want anyway.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage: