Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] ViewVC log Analysis

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] ViewVC log Analysis
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:10:52 +0200

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 10:09:10AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> > Yes, that's one part of the analysis (remember to check the query
> > string as well!).
> >
> > To determine whether ViewVC is delivering the latest version or one
> > from the CVS history, this will be a bit more complicated though.
> >

> Do you have some information regarding the ViewVC application logic ?

I'm not sure of what you mean.  You could download and study its
source code from http://viewvc.tigris.org/ if you wonder how a
specific feature work.

> Maybe also better to look for myself in the website, could you please
> remind me the URL of the server the logs are taken of ?

Here's for example, our project's CVS repository:
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/?root=administration
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/administration/ # alias

The (distinct) web repository:
http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/?root=administration
http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/administration # alias
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/administration/?root=Web #
backward-compatibility URL

It's the same of almost all projects (but some have disabled CVS).

Maybe, prior of gathering statistics, you should use Savannah and the
CVS service some more, and get an idea of how this is generally used.

> Which kind of the output would be best ?
> I could also produce HTML documents, what do you think ?

I do not have a preference, up to you :)

--
Sylvain