Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] waiting for cvs lock

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] waiting for cvs lock
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 01:35:11 +0200

On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 05:49:54PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
> Been getting
> cvs commit: [22:43:16] waiting for mbf's lock in /web/www/www/server/standards
> for 30 minutes or so.
>
> So I logged in and looked at /root/infra/vservers.txt again.
> The first command, ls /vservers shows `cvs', ok.
>
> After that, things aren't so good:
>
> vserver-stats   gets command not found.  (No such file on the server,
> according to locate.)
>
> vserver cvs enter   gets:
> chbind: kernel does not provide network virtualization
>
> chcontext --ctx=1 ps aux  gets:
> chcontext: tools were built without legacy API support; can not continue
> (No cvs processes are visible with regular ps, unsurprisingly.)
>
> Also, there are no #cvs files in
> savannah:/vservers/cvs/web/www/www/server/standards or
> /vservers/cvs/var/lock/cvs, which are the two places I could think of to
> look, but I suppose that could be because I haven't "entered" a vserver.
> I don't know.
>
> Help?

Hi,

You're in a situation where you lack some information:

- The 'mbf lock' issue is a support request that was submitted (twice)
  on the tracker and on the sv-help-public list by the originator of
  the lock. Are you following the support requests?

- vserver-stat just had an extra trailing 's', vserver cannot be used
  by svadmin as it's a chroot-level tool, and VServer involves private
  mount namespaces (in this case with /var/lock/cvs mounted in tmpfs
  in the 'cvs' context). This is not a lot to known but this requires
  you to be a bit familiar with VServer. You'll understand that you
  need to install VServer at home (precompiled with a distro or by
  applying a kernel patch from linux-vserver.org) and get more
  acquainted with this technology before being able to fix things at
  Savannah.

  Work is easier when a system is as simple and plain as possible, but
  Savannah isn't so simple and I don't think we can't easily get rid
  of this pre-requisite. Fortunately VServer is a
  non-Savannah-specific technology so learning about it is far from a
  waste of time :)

--
Sylvain