[Savannah-hackers-public] FYI, disk full on git-push to coreutils, runni

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] FYI, disk full on git-push to coreutils, running mirror-to-cvs hook
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:35:43 +0200

FYI, I'm investigating a failure I just saw while pushing the latest
coreutils change set.  The push- (aka update-) hook normally mirrors
the git delta to a CVS mirror repository.  However, this time, the
cvs commit failed:

  cvs [commit aborted]: Failed to create temporary file: No space left on device
  cvs commit -F .msg NEWS doc/coreutils.texi m4/.gitignore src/pr.c ...
    /usr/local/bin/git-cvsexportcommit line 295.

By the time I got back to it and looked, there was plenty of space:

    address@hidden:/etc/pam.d# df -hT
    Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hdv1      ufs    526G  107G  393G  22% /
    none         tmpfs    1.0G  440M  585M  43% /tmp
    none         tmpfs    1.0G     0  1.0G   0% /var/lock/cvs

I tried to do the cvs commit manually, as root, and it doesn't let me
(probably rightly so).  But I can't "su" to any other user, either.

    address@hidden:/var/tmp/git-to-cvs/coreutils# su - meyering
    You tried to execute:
    Sorry, you are not allowed to execute that command.

I ended up working around that:

    ./setuidgid meyering cvs commit -F .msg .

but IMHO, shouldn't have had to.

Is there a recommended approach?