Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Git commit notification hook

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Git commit notification hook
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 22:57:49 +0100

Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 08:13:34AM +0100, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> > Is this your work/patch, or is it a different version?
>>
>> It's mine.
>> I would have submitted it upstream, but when pushing
>> multiple commits or tags, it's not useful:
>
> Let's hope we can fix that (I didn't dig into this so I don't really
> understand the issue yet) :)

When you push a tag, you could just
elide the commitdiff URL.
But then pushing many regular change sets, you might
want to include one commitdiff URL per change set.
I kept it really simple and did neither.

When pushing a mix of regular change sets and tags, ...
well, you get the idea.

> Also, the dejagnu.git project got a curious problem:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106243 where essentially the commit
> hook failed with "exit 1" (while I can't see where it could have done
> that, given the error message).
>
> I'm trying to reproduce this "push-update of tracking branch" error
> message. Apparently it happens when the user pushes stuff in
> refs/remotes/* . I can't see how user can affect this repository on
> Savannah, because it's supposed to affect refs/heads/* instead.
>
> dejagnu.git indeed has a refs/remote/origin/ directory _on Savannah_,
> and it seems to mirror refs/heads/ . dejagnu.git also has a 'origin'
> _branch_ (not remote). This is pretty confusing.
>
> Do you have a clue on how dejagnu.git ended up in this state?

Sorry, no.
I don't use tracking branches much.

Are you able to reproduce the problem, now?