Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] GNU/non-GNU distinction

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] GNU/non-GNU distinction
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:10:40 +0200

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 03:03:42PM +0000, Noah Slater wrote:
> Why is there a distinction between GNU and non-GNU on Savannah?

Sylvain or Karl can explain much better, but here's my take:

1) Mapping of the web repositories.  GNU projects are mapped to
   gnu.org/software/package while non-GNU to nongnu.org/package.

2) It is very helpful to select the group of all GNU packages, for
   example if you want to review them and see if you can contribute.

3) I suspect there are gazillion of other differences in the way
   Savannah handles the two groups (actually, there are more groups),
   like mailing lists, etc.

> It seems like a needless devision and a human interface nightmare.

I don't think so.