Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] CAcert, IceCat, and savannah

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] CAcert, IceCat, and savannah
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 18:39:03 +0200

Hi,

What I mainly understand is that a standard "audit" current costs
several $10000 which CAcert can't afford; that browsers' policies are
not so well defined; that Konqueror is just blindly following IE and
Mozilla; so to sum up: that a lot of things stand against the creation
of a certificate authority based on a web of trust rather than money.

I can't accept arguments such as "it's not pre-included" from people
who support an OS that is essentially never pre-installed. Similarly
restricting the problem to a money issue is like being OK with gratis
student licenses from a priorietary OS vendor.

Savannah isn't the only free-software-related website that supports
CAcert.org. See for example https://www.april.org/

CAcert is also the only certification authority that makes people
_think_ about what trust is, which can't be more in sync with the
educational purpose of Savannah.

Cheers,

--
Sylvain