Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] autoredirect for savannah downloads

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] autoredirect for savannah downloads
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:47:27 -0500

    Can you give more information - I'm puzzled about the word
    "service". Does this mean we rely on something external to Savannah?

As things stand, it's a mod_perl cgi module that runs on Randy's web
server at the University of Winnipeg.  In principle we could run it for
ourselves on savannah, but I personally am not up for doing all the web
configuration work, sorry.  So far his machine has been very reliable.

Also, Randy said he'd be happy to help recast it as a regular cgi (not
using mod_perl) if there was interest.  So far there hasn't been.

    Do we have the source code for it?

Yes, all the source code is available.  I don't have all the url's at
hand, but he uploaded it to CPAN.  It's basically just a few lines that
interface between the mirmon data and GeoIP, as I recall.  I believe it
all got copied to CTAN, too, when we inaugurated using it there.

    I'd install it in 'download' rather than 'frontend'

Ok, fair enough.

    It's preferrable to have a Debian package if one is available

Evidently there is a Debian package, e.g.,
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/web/mirmon

However, I have never installed a Debian package and I don't think I
should be experimenting live on savannah.  So can you (or anyone else)
do that part?

Thanks,
Karl