Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] FDL license

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] FDL license
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 08:58:24 +0300

Nicodemo Alvaro wrote:
> I don't understand the FDL license in that it asks the author to
> place the license in the document.

Yes, this requirement exists because the license allows distribution
of opaque copies.  For example, I may print out a manual and hand it
to you in the pub.  The recipient should know his rights.

> Some projects may have multiple documents that could be unrelated to
> each other.

Right, there are plenty examples.

> Do each of these FDL documents get a their own license copy?

Usually there is one copy of the license in the package, and it gets
included with the @include Texinfo command.  Other documentation
formats probably have similar feature.

> And what if these documents are smaller than the license itself?

Depends.  For manpages, it is OK to ship one manpage with the FDL text
and link to it from the other manpages.  I guess this technique is
applicable in other situations, too.