[Savannah-hackers-public] DFEY-NW rename to DFEY?

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] DFEY-NW rename to DFEY?
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 00:13:42 +0100

Hi there Sylvain and Savannah Hackers!

I'm Tim Dobson, about a year ago now, myself and Ben Webb set up DFEY-NW (Digital Freedom in Education & Youth - North West) on Savannah.

Whilst we aren't strictly a GUG, we are essentially a free software group. ( http://www.gnu.org/gnu/fs-user-groups.html#UK )

When we set up DFEY-NW originally, we were thinking mainly about the short term - getting a group of young people who were interested in the issues surrounding freedom in the digital world and meeting up in real life and online.

We've been quite successful at doing that, our mailing list now has 40+ people on it, we get a regular turn out to DFEY-NW meetings, we have over 30 entries from the local tech community for our Logo Competition and we've worked with a local free software/open data co-operative (plings.net) to help find funding to assist us going to free software development events.

We've started to work with local schools,colleges and universities to get technically adept young people involved with free software and DFEY-NW with some success.

Since we originally started DFEY-NW we have heard time and time again of young people located in other regions of Great Britain who are really interested in DFEY-NW, but due to DFEY-NW being centred around real life meetups and real life collaboration as much as it is about online collaboration, it's difficult for them to be funny involved.

As was originally intended, DFEY (Digital Freedom in Education & Youth) is now a network of local DFEY branches in several regions of Great Britain who naturally need to be able to communicate with other people in their area.

Currently, the Savannah group we have is:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/dfey-nw/

However, this is somewhat problematic as it means although we can easily create mailing lists such as dfey-nw-discuss and dfey-nw-admin, to get a list created for those in a different area, they need to go through the whole project creation process on Savannah, just to get a list. This not only takes really quite a long time, but it also somewhat decentralises the motives and values of DFEY.

I wondered whether it would be at all possible for you to rename or some how change the savannah project:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/dfey-nw/

https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/dfey/

so that we can relatively quickly launch a dfey-se-discuss mailing list, with dfey-$[city|region]-discuss etc being the standard form for lists.

I hope this makes sense, if it is at all possible in any way, that would be fantastic! :)

If you have any questions, please do feel free to get in touch,

Thanks,

Tim Dobson
(DFEY-NW co-organiser)

www.dfey.org