Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] E-mail spam sent to list owners

From: Karl Berry
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 23:17:16 GMT

    > > > - more generally I wonder if there's a legitimate use for the '-owner'
    > > >   aliases that Mailman creates

We, listhelper volunteers, have been contacted on -owner addresses
fairly often -- perhaps once every month or two, on average.  It seems a
shame to just make them bounce, since they're such a standard part of
mailman.

To reduce the useless spambombs which get sent to all/most *-owner
addresses from time to time, I have gotten into the habit of changing
the visible address to things like

  address@hidden

Humans have no trouble decoding that, but the automated harvesters just
blindly send to the invalid address.  It's the best compromise I've been
able to come up with.

karl