[Savannah-hackers-public] captcha insufficient

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] captcha insufficient
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 18:29:39 GMT

Michael, all,

Sadly, it seems the captcha is insufficent (not surprising, of course --
if human spammers signed up before, we can't stop them).  User robomo:
https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/usergroup.php?user_id=85295

signed up yesterday and posted a spam on a freetype bug report:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?32245

(I spamified it.)

I wonder about doing both the captcha and asking for
"year GNU was announced + today's month number".

I don't expect to completely stop spammers from signing up but
I fear that it happening a day or two after the captcha means that soon
there will be a flood.

Wdyt?

karl

P.S. To get "recent" user ids, I've been running:
echo "select user_id from user where add_date >1316185718;" | mysql savane
where the big integer is a time_t for, e.g., yesterday about this time.