Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Hacking on Savane - where to start?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Hacking on Savane - where to start?
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 01:04:00 GMT

Hi Assaf,

    If one is interested in hacking on Savane - what's the place to start?

There is no easy place.  Info, such as it is, is at
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/HowToBecomeASavannahHacker

    On the project page

I gather you are looking at the "savane" project page,
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/savane

    there are mentions of "FusionForge" and "Gna!" -

Yeah.  Neither of those are currently relevant to hacking what is live
on Savannah.

    even where is the code that currently runs the website.

As mentioned on the wiki page above, etc., several of the VC
repositories in the administration project are used.
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/administration

Other projects, notably including "savane", are not relevant to hacking
live Savannah.  I added a note to that effect in the "savane"
description.  (I thought we had it there before, but I guess not, or it
got deleted, or something.)

Part of the problem is that the overall situation is so murky.  If I
knew precisely where everything was and how it was used, I would write
it down, but I don't, and the reality is that researching all that is
part of what any savannah contributor must do to succeed.  Sad but true.
There is no especially low-hanging fruit.

Thanks for your interest.  Happy to discuss further.

karl