[Savannah-hackers-public] Project names requirements

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Project names requirements
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 17:47:46 -0400

Hello All,

Are there guidelines regarding project names hosted on GNU Savannah ?
for example, that they would not be confused with other known names ? and/or
somewhat non-cryptic?

This is in regard to two recent project submissions:
 One is named "Drupal", The other "adt".

The "drupal" one is not the "drupal" core project, but a Drupal mode for emacs.
The "adt" are abbreviation for the project, which seems to be in extremely
initial draft state (one JS, one CSS, one HTML file).

I think names/ids in GNU Savannah are a scares resource, because once a name is
allocated, it can not be reclaimed / reused (except it very rarely cases, which also lead
to confusion, like "gnulist/quagga").

Projects in savannah are also in a "global namespace" (i.e. not per-user), and so
accepting a "drupal" project would lead to a homepage such as:
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/drupal

Which might be confusing (or at least, somewhat misleading), since it not core
Drupal but an extension to emacs.

With "adt", I feel allocating a three-letter, non-informative, cryptic ID for a
project that is still not mature is wasteful.

I don't know what is the current unofficial policy.
But I would suggest requiring more informative names.
In the "Drupal" case, call it "drupal-el" (common suffix for other emacs
related projects).
In the "adt" case, recommend a more informative name.

What do you think?
 - Assaf