Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] helping maintain savannah

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] helping maintain savannah
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 13:38:36 -0400

Hello Robert,

On Sep 2, 2015, at 12:42, Robert Musial <address@hidden> wrote:
> I currently am a www.gnu.org webmaster and help rms with some of his personal
> computing needs. I saw on his site that he was looking for people to help
> maintain/hack savannah.gnu.org, so I am offering my help. My username on
> savannah is 'rmmm' as is my fencepost user account. Please let me know what I
> can help with.

Thanks for offering to help.
More volunteers are always needed.
The typical place to start would be here:
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/HowToBecomeASavannahHacker/

However,
Because you are also one of a webmaster for gnu.org, you are in a special
position to help us complete a long-wanted project: enable using GIT for
web-pages of projects on http://www.gnu.org and http://nongnu.org.

As you probably know, all webpages for individual projects (i.e those under
http://www.gnu.org/software/XXX and http://nongnu.org/XXXX) are updated only
through CVS.

We are working on enabling GIT updates as well (only for projects that will be
interested in switching from CVS to GIT).

This requires careful coordination between savannah servers (which we can
modify) and scripts running on gnu.org (which we can't access, but you can).

You can see more background information here (though many links are stale):

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2014-11/msg00001.html

And the various related scripts and configuration files here:
  http://git.housegordon.org/cgit/gnu-sv-gitweb.git/tree/

If you're a member of address@hidden, then there's also the message I sent on
15-Jan-2015 titled  'Enabling git for web-repositories on www.gnu.org' (
gnu.org #974561 ) .

If you're willing to help with this new feature, I believe it will be
beneficial to many savannah users.

regards,
 - assaf