Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] mail-sending error from git server updatin

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] mail-sending error from git server updating emacs "concurrency" branch
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 22:12:21 +0200

> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 12:54:30 -0700
> From: Bob Proulx <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > > remote:   File "/srv/git/emacs.git/hooks/git_multimail.py", line 1472, in
> > > send
> > > remote:     p.terminate()
> > > remote:   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1269, in terminate
> > > remote:     self.send_signal(signal.SIGTERM)
> > > remote:   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1264, in
> > > send_signal
> > > remote:     os.kill(self.pid, sig)
> > > remote: OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted
>
> "Operation not permitted" seems both clear and confusing at the same
> time.  I mean, what operation?  And why wasn't it permitted?

Looks like it tried to kill itself, and got EPERM.  That's what the
backtrace says: the frame at top of stack is the call to os.kill.  No?

Now, why would a process get EPERM when it wants to kill itself?

> I hate it when programmers are slack about error handling.

There's no programmer involved here, this is just the Python
equivalent of "Abort; core dumped."