Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savannah and the present

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savannah and the present
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 07:18:01 -0500

   Perhaps Savannah is not suited for the purpose of replacing Github,
   but at the very least the FSF should sponsor sites like:

   https://notabug.org/

   which are based on free software and host exclusively free software
   (unlike Github, which accepts proprietary programs).

It seems that http://notabug.org also accepts non-free programs, for
example:

  https://notabug.org/nelis/hg-shopp-theme

This has no license information what so ever.  If this is in error or
not, I don't know.

   > This also keeps Javascript requirements to minimum - which is
   > another added bonus for some.

   Github does not require JavaScript and can be completely operated
   by a free command line program that uses their API called "hub".

>From what I recall this is not entierly correct, to be able to use
github you need an account -- that requires non-free javascript.

   If it's perceived as something old and clunky, we can't expect
   people to support it, and consequently, many people will not make
   their programs part of the GNU project, which often means releasing
   them under permissive licenses to satisfy the "open source"
   supporters who think the GPL is "viral" and "restrictive" and they
   "wouldn't touch any GPL code".

People who call the GPL "viral", and "restrictive" are already people
who would be unwilling to use Savannah, since they are already hostile
to the idea of computer user freedom -- it doesn't matter to them what
Savannah looks like.

The goal of Savannah, and the GNU project isn't to make more GNU
projects -- it is to provide a free software hosting platform and a
free operating system.