Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] perl warning from cvs.sv.gnu.org

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] perl warning from cvs.sv.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 16:02:52 -0700

Hello Andreas,

Andreas Schwab wrote:
> When I try to run cvs server on cvs.sv.gnu.org I get a warning from
> perl:

Thank you for the report.  I can recreate this using client side
commands by using this in a project directory:

  LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 cvs -qn up

> $ ssh cvs.sv.gnu.org cvs server
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = (unset),
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LC_COLLATE = "C",
>         LC_NUMERIC = "en_US.UTF-8",
>         LC_MESSAGES = "en_US.UTF-8",
>         LANG = "de_DE.UTF-8"
>     are supported and installed on your system.

These messages came from the sv_membersh perl script set as every user
shell when users ssh into the system.  That script is the access
control script.

That was a problem because the default sshd configuration in the stock
vendor package is "AcceptEnv LANG LC_*" which allowed your LANG to be
passed through.  Since every language locale has not been generated on
the server the perl script generated the errors.  (Perl has been a
watchdog for locale setting problems over the years due to this.)

I have disabled that setting.  LANG is no longer passed through.  This
seems to have resolved this problem.

Thank you again for reporting this problem!

Bob