Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Truncated tarball from git.savannah.gnu.or

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Truncated tarball from git.savannah.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 01:37:18 -0500

BP> Using gzip is much less stressful on the cpu.  It only takes 1m30s to
BP> create and download a tar.gz file.  The gz is a larger file than the
BP> xz but the overall impact of the gz is less.

Yes.  It is possible something like varnish in front of the https server
would cache the tar files so that multiple requests can run from ram.

Also, it should be possible to configure cgit to use -0, -1 or -2 when
invoking xz.

Or you might be able to disable xz and have such requests redirect to an
error page suggesting a tar.gz instead.

I know fdo uses varnish.  I wouldn't be surprized if it was for this
exact reason.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6