Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] download access for uploading files broken

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] download access for uploading files broken
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 21:43:36 -0500

Hello Bob and all,

> On Feb 23, 2017, at 20:23, Assaf Gordon <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob,
>
>> On Feb 23, 2017, at 20:05, Bob Proulx <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I found it not working.  But I am not sure why.
>> [...]
>> $ scp testfile address@hidden:/releases/administration/
>> scp: /releases/administration//testfile: Permission denied
>
> I'm think it's a weird permission thing with the NFS after the reboot.
> [...]
> So it works for an existing file,
> but not allowed to create new files.

I'm leaning towards the possibility that it is related to secondary-groups/NFS
issues,
such as:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/206062/nfs-permission-problem-with-secondary-groups

1. When there is an existing file (own by the same user on download/download0) -
   touch and write operations succeed.

2. When creating a user-owned file (on download),
   the user can write to the file from download0 over NFS.

3. When creating a root-owned,world-writable file (on download),
   the user can write to the file from download0 over NFS.

4. Only when creating a root:[GROUP] owned file with group-writable permissions
   (from download),
   updating the file with a user who is in [GROUP] files with permission denied.

Same behavior with world-writable directories.

I've verified with tcpdump that the transmitted uid/gid(s) are correct.

I'm going to try to find a way around it,
but this sounds familiar and the solution is known to someone,
please chime in.

to be continued,
-assaf