Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] VERY slow git response from Savannah

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] VERY slow git response from Savannah
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 02:48:34 -0700

Arnold Robbins wrote:
> I'm seeing terribly slow git response from Savannah, both in Israel
> and from a machine on the US east coast.  So I think the problem isn't
> network related.
> If anyone is awake (I know it's about 1:00 a.m. east coast time), please
> investigate.

I believe that one of the projects hosted must have announced a new
git release and that synchronized a lot of people trying to clone at
the same time.  It seemed as if everyone in the world was trying to
clone all at once.  There was almost 8G of system memory consumed
solely by many running git processes.  It just couldn't keep up.

Eventually I couldn't find an alternative to killing all of the git
processes and waiting a bit before restarting the git daemon.
Hopefully as people start cloning again they won't all do it at once.
A little time skew goes a long way.

Having done that at around 06:20 UTC (11:20pm US/Mountain) that seemed
to break the problem and things appear to be working normally again
since then.  I have once again reduced the number of parallel git
servers, now down from 25 to 15.

Bob