[Savannah-hackers] Obsoleting /cvs (take 3)

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Obsoleting /cvs (take 3)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 16:41:46 +0100

        Hi,

        The mail sent to people still using /cvs instead of /cvsroot was a
failure. Only got a few replies and generated more confusion than benefit.
I just implemented another approach to the problem.

        - Once a day, a commit operation on /cvs displays a message that
          suggest to migrate. The message is printed at the end of the
          cvs commit command.

        - A log of the messages is kept in
          /var/run/obsolete/user.project.obsolete

        I hope that will be a more successfull approach.

        The script itself is in /cvs/CVSROOT/obsolete.

        Sample message:

-----
                     PLEASE STOP USING THIS REPOSITORY

    The subversions.gnu.org:/cvs repository will become obsolete.
Please use the subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gnudocs repository instead.
Detailed instructions can be found at
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnudocs/ under the CVS menu entry. If
you need help send a mail to address@hidden

    The following steps are very likely to work for you:

    Access via CVS/SSH

    - login as loic at https://savannah.gnu.org/account/login.php
    - go to https://savannah.gnu.org/account/editsshkeys.php
    - cut/paste ~/.ssh/identity.pub and click Update
    - wait 1 hour
    - export CVS_RSH=ssh
    - cvs -d address@hidden:/cvsroot/gnudocs co gnudocs

    Access using your gnu.org Kerberos account

    - kinit loic
    - cvs -d :gserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/gnudocs co gnudocs

    The commit operation you just did was completed successfully.
Accessing the two repositories modifies exactly the same files.
Your changes will be visible at exactly the same time on both
repositories. There is no risk to lose your changes.

    Thanks for your help,
---