[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Station Location and

From: kodis
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Station Location and Info
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 14:07:51 -0500

John Kodis <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: Station Location and Info
System name: stationinfo

The Station Location and Information project provides an convenient way to view
and extract information on AM, FM, and TV broadcast stations.  It uses data
maintained and provided by the US Federal Communications Commission at
http://ftp.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Mass_Media/Databases/cdbs/.  Stations can be
selected by proximity to a location, band of operation, and frequency.

Two interfaces are available: a command-line client which produces a brief
summary of information on all stations meeting the supplied search criteria;
and a GUI client built using the Gtk graphical toolkit which provides a
convenient interactive view of the data.

I have already developed an initial version of this software.  While I have not
posted this code anywhere, you can get an idea of where I would like to take
this project by visiting http://radiostation.com/kodis/ to see an earlier
project of mine that serves a similar purpose.  My experience with this web
page leads me to believe that there is significant interest in a project of
this type among shortwave listeners, broadcast station engineers, and general
listeners.