[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of The GNU Free C++ Text

From: gnudev
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of The GNU Free C++ Textbook
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 04:41:01 -0500

James Alexander Buchanan <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: fdl
Other License:
Package: The GNU Free C++ Textbook
System name: cpptextbook
This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

My project is free documentation. It is a classroom-oriented CS-101 type C++
textbook intended for freshman college/university students. It will have an
accompanying instructor\'s manual and example programmes.

I have been angered in the past at the price of quality textbooks for college
students, particularly the very nice, glossy hardcover editions which in terms
of my currency cost a weeks\' wages per book. If I had to purchase 8 textbooks
for 8 subjects in one academic year for example, two months\' worth of my wages
are spent and I either live in poverty with my parents or starve (I\'ve tried
starving, and it\'s not fun).

The likes of Prentice Hall, McGraw Hill, Saunders, etc publish these textbooks
and make deals doubtlessly to have them set as required textbooks. They also
have the cheek to occasionally publish paperback editions with an insulting
message on the back cover \"Prentice Hall publishes these lower priced editions
for the benefit of students...\"

Over some time I have discussed these issues with Lisa M. Opus Goldstein, the
manager of the FSF Press and our goals are essentially the same. I agreed I
would donate my C++ textbook and to also produce an instructor\'s manual, using
my free manual/documentation project as a pilot for the FSF to produce more
educational/classroom oriented materials.

The textbook covers ANSI Standard C++, and contains graded exercises and
projects for students. It teaches the Standard C++ library from the beginning,
and is unique in this respect: it is not another \"C first\" C++ textbook.

The first three chapters have been drafted and used successfully with students
ranging in age from 13 to 60. It is also being reviewed by college professors
and tutors.

The book is undergoing a change at this point in time, converting the sources
to DocBook. I expect the first DocBook-based chapter to be uploaded into CVS
within a fortnight, after I receive my DocBook manual from the bookshop and
have a chance to convert the first chapter.