[Savannah-hackers] Re: savannah.gnu.org: submission of Edventure Course

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: savannah.gnu.org: submission of Edventure Course Management
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:35:23 +0000

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 07:25:06PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:

> Douglas S. Blank <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Edventure Course Management
> System name: edventure
> This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

> Edventure is a course management system that allows teachers and students to
> interact via the Web. It is written in PHP and has a SQL interface
> (Postgresql, MySQL, etc.) to the data. Edventure could be used to replace
> proprietary programs, such as Black Board or WebCT, at a university or K-12
> school. The biggest difference between Edventure and the previous-mentioned
> programs (other than being free software) is that Edventure was designed to
> be a pedagogical tool. It allows the creation of on-line quizzes (complete
> with versioning of questions), and other common classroom on-line
> activities. It supports plugins so that other languages and systems can
> easily be added (via CGI). The system manages passwords and security so that
> teachers need not be involved. The system is designed so that instructors
> can retain their standard web pages if they wish, or create new pages
> without knowing HTML. Also, information can be easily extracted out of the
> system so that it doesn\'t trap instructors into continued use (like the
> proprietary systems do).

> Edventure is a complete rewrite of a previous free system. It currently
> exists with about 60% functionality complete. You can see it in action at
> http://dangermouse.brynmawr.edu/edventure/.

Hi,
Your project is very interesting and very needed. In my own case, I've been
battling during the last 2 years against the adoption of WebCT in our
University.

Before we approve your project, we would like to take a look at its source
code. Please tell us a URL where it can be found, or send me a tarball by
e-mail.

Regards,
Jaime